DVLA Vehicle Enquiry Guide and Contact Numbers

UK Vehicles

You can reach DVLA through phone. If you want to find out about registration and vehicle enquirys matters you can call: Telephone 0300 790 6802 or Telefax: 0300 123 0798 from Mondays to Fridays at 8am to 7pm and Saturdays from 8am to 2pm. If you want information on tax and SORN status you can phone them though these numbers: Telephone: 0300 790 6802 or Fax: 0300 123 0798. The hotline is available: Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm and Saturday, 8am to 2pm. If you have queries on the vehicle’s MOT, phone DVLA though: 0300 123 9000. Questions will be addressed form Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm.

You can check several information about a vehicle through a DVLA vehicle enquiry. What you need to know to make this enquiry is the vehicle’s make and registration number. You can find the registration number of a vehicle in your V5C or registration log book.

These are the information readily available when you do a DVLA vehicle enquiry through the website: https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/.
There are several kinds of information you can get through a DVLA vehicle enquiry.

Vehicle Enquiry

  1. You can find out when the current tax of the vehicle expires. Through this, you can find out when you are due to pay.
  2. You can also view the expiration of the vehicle’s MOT test. The MOT test is a requirement for most vehicles in the UK that are over 3 years old. The annual test measure: vehicle emission, vehicle safety and if it is worthy to be on the streets. You can also do a DVLA check on the MOT history of a vehicle by going to: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=1.109831746.678598253.1463626404
  3. For used or second hand vehicles – you can find out through a DVLA vehicle enquiry when it was first registered. You can also find out the vehicles’ year of manufacture. This is important for used car dealers and buyers because they can approximate here the age of the vehicle.
  4. You can also access the vehicle’s SORN status. All cars that use roads in the UK are required to pay road taxes – if you have a vehicle that you do not use or take out to public roads, you can apply for a SORN or a Statutory Off Road Notification. If you register your vehicle as off road, you are exempt from paying road taxes and there is no need to apply for a vehicle insurance. SORN cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another. You can also apply for lifting the SORN when you want to use the vehicle on public roads.
  5. You can get information on a vehicle’s registered color and engine size. You also have access to the CO2 emissions of the vehicle and its current tax rate.
  6. If you cannot access through the previously mentioned means, there are other ways to do a DVLA vehicle enquiry. First you can use the old online service of the DVLA. You can visit: https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=businesslink. What you need to provide here is the vehicle’s make and registration number. For phone enquiries you can find out information on the following:
  • date of first registration
  • year of manufacture
  • engine size
  • CO2 emissions
  • color
  • current vehicle tax rate

There are other data you can gain access to by making a request.

Additional Information You Can Access Through DVLA Vehicle Enquiry

Other forms of information are accessible through the DVLA vehicle enquiry but unlike the above mentioned list of information, these data need to be requested to DVLA.

You can get information on the registered keepers of vehicles. These include past and present owners. What you need to do is write to DVLA and make a request. Information on this is not easily accessed and DVLA does not grant all requests. Requests can only be granted if you have a “reasonable cause”. Reasonable causes include tracing owners of vehicles responsible for accidents, illegally parked cars, and abandoned vehicles. It may also be used to track drivers suspected of crimes such as insurance fraud and driving off without paying for services. Information may also be obtained to issue tickets for parking violations. Aside from these, you can also ask DVLA for information that they have on you.

You can read on further information on requesting vehicle information of other people from:  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/giving-people-information-from-our-vehicle-record. DVLA provides a guide on how companies can make a request, who will grant the request and the information that can be released.

Requests may be sent to DVLA’s Subject Access Requests through email at: SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk. You can also reach through mail by sending accomplished request forms to:

SAR Enquiries DVRE DVLA Swansea SA99 1ZZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *