Things You Need to Remember Befoure Changing Address (DVLA Arrangements)

counterpart driving licence

When you move to a different place, you need to inform DVLA of your change in address. Your information must always be updated within the DVLA database so that your driving license, vehicle registration and vehicle tax are up to date.
There are no fees in DVLA change address but you can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not inform them of your change in address. Here are the things you need to do for your DVLA change address.

DVLA Change Address in Driving License

There are 6 things you need to have before you can proceed with your DVLA change address:

  1. You need to have your driving license with you.
  2. You need to be a resident of Great Britain. It is important to note here that there is a different procedure for residents of Northern Ireland.
  3. Provide the address of your residence for the past 3 years.
  4. You need to present your UK passport or another proof of identity.
  5. Present your National Insurance number if known.
  6. You need to ensure that you are not disqualified from driving. It is vital to understand here that if you are moving abroad, you cannot register your new address in DVLA – you may need to contact the driving license authority of your country of residence.

Once you have all these six things in place, the next step is to apply for a DVLA change address through the Government Gateway, a website for online registration for government services. If you do not have an existing Government Gateway ID, you need to register and get an ID first. Once this is done, you will receive a confirmation of your application for DVLA change address. Your updated license will arrive in a week’s time. If not delivered within 3 weeks, you need to contact DVLA.
If you opt not to use the Government Gateway, you may apply through post for your DVLA change address. The process is different for photocard and paper driving license holders. For photocard driving license, fill in the “changes” section of the D741 that came with your license then mail both your photocard license and the form to DVLA:

DVLA Swansea SA99 1BN

uk mailbox

If you do not have the D741, you can order a license application forms from Form D1 is for cars or motorcycles and D2 is for lorries and buses.

For paper driving license, you need to send the following to DVLA:

  • Completed form D1 or D2, your driving license
  • Your 9-digit biometric passport number and a passport photograph.

If you do not have a biometric passport, you may need to send original documents as proof of identity. You may send any of the following documents: any valid passport, biometric residence permit, UK certificate of naturalization, EU national identity card and a travel document. You cannot use photocopies or laminated documents and certified copies.

Updated license will arrive in 3 weeks’ time. You can contact DVLA if it is not delivered on time.

DVLA Change Address for Vehicle Registration

Once you’ve updated your address in your driving license, the next step it to update your V5C vehicle registration certificate. This is important because vehicle tax renewal letter will be sent to the wrong address if your V5C is not updated.

The first thing you need to do is to have your V5C, on section 6, provide your new address – the same one you registered in your DVLA change address for your driving license. Note here that you cannot give joint names or Post Office box address. Next, sign and write the date of declaration on section 8. Do not tick the “new keeper” box when filling out your V5C. Lastly, send filled out V5C to DVLA.

Your updated V5C will arrive in 4 weeks – contact DVLA if it has not arrived in 6 weeks’ time.

Requesting for a new and updated V5C is free of charge but if you lost your old V5C and you need to change your address you need to order the V62 form from which takes 2 to 4 weeks delivery time and costs £25.

DVLA Change Address for Vehicle Tax

Once you’ve changed your address in your driving license and vehicle registration certificate, it is also important to update your vehicle tax details.

If you pay via Direct Debit for your vehicle taxes, you need to phone DVLA to inform them of your change in address.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *