DVLA Road Tax Contact Number and Helpful Information About Taxing Your Vehicle

Aside from your vehicle registration, another thing that you need to do before you could legally drive your vehicle on the road is to apply for taxation. There are various ways on how this can be done, including calling the DVLA road tax contact number: 0300 123 4321 We’ll go through these options, as well as tackle more information about taxing vehicles that you may find helpful as a vehicle owner in the UK.

Taxing a New Vehicle

When you purchase a vehicle, one of your duties is to apply to have it taxed. Even if you bought a used car, you would still need to apply for road tax since the tax of the previous owner would not be transferred to you after the sale. Some of the documents that you could use for this application are the V5C/2 new keeper supplement if you are the new owner and you don’t have a V5C yet, V62 application for a registration certificate or a V5C registration certificate that’s already under your name. You could do the application online by going to https://www.vehicletax.service.gov.uk/. If you don’t have a V11 reminder, click on the appropriate link and follow the on-screen instructions.

Aside from doing this online, you may also do this by phone by dialing DVLA road tax contact number 0300 123 4321. Another option is to visit a local Post Office that take care of taxing vehicles. You could find a branch near you by using this branch finder. There’s a fee to make and you would also need to bring your V5C registration certificate or V5C/2 new keeper supplement.

get your road tax bag

You should receive a V11 or vehicle tax reminder letter when your tax is about to be due soon. Follow the same procedures as with applying for a new vehicle taxation for the renewal. Even if you don’t have V11, you could still tax your vehicle using your V5C, V5C/2 or V62. You may call the same DVLA road tax contact number, pay at a post office or do this online.

If you’re expected to travel during the period of your tax renewal, you could make an advance payment. You would need to send various documents to DVLA including your V5C registration certificate, filled up V10 and a letter that explains why you need to pay for your road tax in advance. You may send these documents together with your banker’s draft, postal order or cheque to this address: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

Tax Refunds for Your Vehicle

You are qualified for a tax refund for your vehicle for various reasons including the following:

  • You would not be using your vehicle in public roads and you made a Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN.
  • You exported your vehicle
  • You scrapped your vehicle
  • You transferred or sold your vehicle to another person
  • You have a vehicle that’s tax exempted

If you’re using direct debit for your road tax payment, it would be automatically cancelled. The refund would be given to your within 4 to 6 weeks after letting DVLA know about it.

Vehicle Tax Exemptions

There are vehicles that are exempted for road tax. You’re not required to pay vehicle tax if you have any of these vehicles. Included in these vehicles is one that’s utilized by a disabled person. Learn more about how you can apply for this tax exemption, as well as the requirements to qualify for this on DVLA’s page that you could access here. However, once the vehicle is no longer used by the disabled person, you need to remove the exemption and pay for regular taxes. You could do this by going to the Post Office that works on vehicle tax. Aside from ambulances, vehicles that are also used for transporting disabled people are also exempted from vehicle tax.
Vehicles made prior to January 1, 1976 are considered historic and they are also tax exempted. Powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters with 8mph maximum speed are also included on the list. Other exempted vehicles are mowing machines used for cutting grasses, vehicles powered by steam and electric vehicles. Forestry, horticulture and agriculture vehicles that are used off the road or those that are driven in short distance of up to 1.5 kilometers on public roads are also included.

DVLA Online Services for Tax, Driver Licensing and Vehicle Registration

If you are looking to apply for your first provisional licence or switch from a paper driving licence to a photo card licence, submit an application for your tax disc or know more information the DVLA holds regarding a particular vehicle, you have the option to do it online. DVLA online application is one of the fastest and most convenient ways to have your licence-related concerns taken cared of.

DVLA Services Online

These are the different DVLA websites to use depending on the service you require.

online keyboard
You dont have to contact DVLA by phone, try online!

If you want to purchase a new personalised number from DVLA for your vehicle, you can go to dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk. There, you will find more information about the registration charge as well as how the purchasing process works.

Whether you need to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) or tax your vehicle, you may go to www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc.

If you wish to check the records of DVLA for tax rate and vehicle details, you can go to www.direct.gov.uk/vehiclecheck. You will need the vehicle’s make as well as the registration number.

You can visit the site www.direct.gov.uk/provisional if you are looking to apply for a provisional driving licence. There, you will know more details about the rules and requirements you must meet for you to get the licence.

If you have a change of address and you need to update it on your driving licence, then you can go to www.direct.gov.uk/changeofaddress to get it done.

For the replacement of lost, stolen or damaged driving licence, you may go to www.direct.gov.uk/replacelicence. You should also get in touch with the police if yours is stolen.

Should you wish to exchange your paper driving license for a photo card licence, you can get it done on this site: www.direct.gov.uk/exchangelicence. Remember that you should only get a new licence if your current licence has been defaced, if you changed your name or address, or if you are getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC). You do not have to change your licence to a photo card version if none of these apply.

If you are 70 years old or above and you need to renew your driving licence, you can do it at www.direct.gov.uk/renewalat70. You can use this service if your licence has expired, or if it is going to expire within the next 90 days.

www.direct.gov.uk/photorenewal is the site you can use for renewing your photo on your driving licence. This can be done if you have a valid UK passport. You should renew your photo card licence every 10 years. You will receive notification prior to the expiration date of your current licence.

If you need to order or download the DVLA application forms, then you can go to www.direct.gov.uk/motoringforms.

Standard DVLA Charges as of January 2014 for Licence-Related Changes

Some of the DVLA online services are provided for free, while some of them have charges. Listed below are examples of the standard fees for particular changes related to your licence.

When you are applying for a provisional licence, there will be a charge of £34 if it is done online. If it is by post, the charge will be £43.

You will be charged a £14 fee if you are to renew your driving licence online. £17 if it is done by post.

If you are to exchange from paper licence to photo card without any change of details, the charge will be £14 if it is online. If it is done by post, the charge will be £17 instead.

You will not be charged anything if you are to change the name or address on your driving licence.

You can also renew your driving licence for free as long as it is for medical reasons.

If you are 70 or older, it will be free of charge as well when you renew your driving licence.

Beware of Fraudulent Application Processing or Checking Services

Do not be deceived by official looking third party websites that charge you for making changes to your driving licence, which you might have done for free by dealing directly with DVLA. Be aware of sites that appear on top or ads section of a web search, and always keep in mind that legitimate DVLA pages are all on the www.gov.uk site.

Things You Need to Remember Befoure Changing Address (DVLA Arrangements)

When you move to a different place, you need to inform DVLA of your change in address. Your information must always be updated within the DVLA database so that your driving license, vehicle registration and vehicle tax are up to date.
There are no fees in DVLA change address but you can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not inform them of your change in address. Here are the things you need to do for your DVLA change address.

DVLA Change Address in Driving License

There are 6 things you need to have before you can proceed with your DVLA change address:

  1. You need to have your driving license with you.
  2. You need to be a resident of Great Britain. It is important to note here that there is a different procedure for residents of Northern Ireland.
  3. Provide the address of your residence for the past 3 years.
  4. You need to present your UK passport or another proof of identity.
  5. Present your National Insurance number if known.
  6. You need to ensure that you are not disqualified from driving. It is vital to understand here that if you are moving abroad, you cannot register your new address in DVLA – you may need to contact the driving license authority of your country of residence.

Once you have all these six things in place, the next step is to apply for a DVLA change address through the Government Gateway, a website for online registration for government services. If you do not have an existing Government Gateway ID, you need to register and get an ID first. Once this is done, you will receive a confirmation of your application for DVLA change address. Your updated license will arrive in a week’s time. If not delivered within 3 weeks, you need to contact DVLA.
If you opt not to use the Government Gateway, you may apply through post for your DVLA change address. The process is different for photocard and paper driving license holders. For photocard driving license, fill in the “changes” section of the D741 that came with your license then mail both your photocard license and the form to DVLA:

DVLA Swansea SA99 1BN

uk mailbox

If you do not have the D741, you can order a license application forms from https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms. Form D1 is for cars or motorcycles and D2 is for lorries and buses.

For paper driving license, you need to send the following to DVLA:

  • Completed form D1 or D2, your driving license
  • Your 9-digit biometric passport number and a passport photograph.

If you do not have a biometric passport, you may need to send original documents as proof of identity. You may send any of the following documents: any valid passport, biometric residence permit, UK certificate of naturalization, EU national identity card and a travel document. You cannot use photocopies or laminated documents and certified copies.

Updated license will arrive in 3 weeks’ time. You can contact DVLA if it is not delivered on time.

DVLA Change Address for Vehicle Registration

Once you’ve updated your address in your driving license, the next step it to update your V5C vehicle registration certificate. This is important because vehicle tax renewal letter will be sent to the wrong address if your V5C is not updated.

The first thing you need to do is to have your V5C, on section 6, provide your new address – the same one you registered in your DVLA change address for your driving license. Note here that you cannot give joint names or Post Office box address. Next, sign and write the date of declaration on section 8. Do not tick the “new keeper” box when filling out your V5C. Lastly, send filled out V5C to DVLA.

Your updated V5C will arrive in 4 weeks – contact DVLA if it has not arrived in 6 weeks’ time.

Requesting for a new and updated V5C is free of charge but if you lost your old V5C and you need to change your address you need to order the V62 form from https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms which takes 2 to 4 weeks delivery time and costs £25.

DVLA Change Address for Vehicle Tax

Once you’ve changed your address in your driving license and vehicle registration certificate, it is also important to update your vehicle tax details.

If you pay via Direct Debit for your vehicle taxes, you need to phone DVLA to inform them of your change in address.

How to Apply, Replace and Renew DVLA Licence

For any inquiry about licence contact: 0300 790 6801

There are different categories of DVLA licences that would tell you what type of vehicles you can drive. For instance, a category B driving license would let you drive vehicles with up to 3,500kg MAM and can sit up to eight passengers. You need to have a driving license in order to drive various types of vehicles in the roads of UK. Provisional driving license is needed if you’re still learning to drive a certain vehicle, while a full driving license gives you the right to drive the vehicles under your license category without restrictions.

Applying for a Driving License

As mentioned, you can apply for a provisional driving license when you’re still learning to drive. You must pass theory tests in order to qualify for this. This is not just for those who are applying for a license for the first time. If you are adding entitlements or adding categories so you can drive other types of vehicles, you would also need to apply for this, before applying for a full license. The minimum age requirement to apply for a provisional driving license is 15 years and 9 months. It would state in your license when you would be eligible to drive other vehicles. You could apply for this license online by going to https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence. There’s a fee of £34 that you could pay using your credit or debit card. You could expect to get your licence within a week after your online application.

dvla online application

Another option is via postal application, which would require you to complete a D1 application form available from the Post Office or by downloading at https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms. There’s a fee of £43 that can be paid through postal order or check. Send the form and fee together with your photograph that’s similar to what you use in passports and documents that prove your identity to the address below:

DVLA Swansea SA99 1AD

As a provisional driving license holder, there would be restrictions that you need to keep in mind. One of these is that you must be accompanied by someone who has a full driving license and had it for at least three years, must be fit to drive and must be seated on the passenger sit.

Once you passed your practical driving test, you could apply for a full driving licence, which can be processed within three weeks. The examiner will automatically send your certificate for passing the driving test to DVLA if you’re a holder of a photocard provisional driving licence; that is if you didn’t change your name. If you have one but changed your name or your provisional driving license is in paper, you would need to fill up the D1 application form, fill the certificate for passing the test’s declaration, give a passport photo and documents that prove your identity and send it to the following address:

DVLA Swansea SA99 1BN

Replacement and Renewal of Driving Licence

If your driving licence was stolen, you must notify the police immediately and apply for a replacement with DVLA. You may also request for a driving license replacement if it was lost, destroyed or damaged. This can be done through an online application. There’s a fee of £20 that you can pay via credit or debit card. In case you found your old driving licence after applying for a replacement, let DVLA know immediately and return the old licence that you’ve found. You may also apply by phone by calling 0300 790 6801. Do this only if your license was stolen or lost, but not if it was damaged. This is also not an option if your license is already about to expire in 56 days.

Renewal of driving license can also be done at DVLA’s site. Do not apply online if you have a 5-year lorry or bus license and if your title or name was changed. You must pay £14 for the processing of the renewal, although it’s free for those who are 70-years old and up. You should get your new driving license within one week of your online application. You may also apply by post by filling up the D798 form and sending it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DH together with your passport photo, photocard driving license and £17 postal order or check that’s payable to DVLA. Processing can be within three weeks if you applied by post.

DVLA Personalised Number Plates

DVLA Personalised Number Plates Contact Number: 0300 123 0883

If you don’t want to get a random plate number for your vehicle, DVLA personalised number plates are available. DVLA Personalised Registrations has a site where you could search for over 45 million of registrations for sale. You could search for the initials that you wish to be included in your plate number on their site at http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/ and choose from the available results. You would also see how much the personalised registrations would cost. The amount that you would be paying would already include VAT, as well as an assignment fee of £80. This assignment fee would give you the right to assign the personalised registration to your vehicle or another person’s vehicle. They also hold auctions six times a year. You could check the auction dates, as well as the numbers to be auctioned on their site. If you wish to make a reservation for the auction, you could pay a fee of £130.

Different Types of Registration Numbers

There are different types of registration numbers that are offered by the DVLA Personalised Registrations department. The current style is for vehicles registered from September 2001 and it’s composed of two letters, two numbers and three letters in the end (example: AB24 CDE).
Another type is the prefix, which was given to new vehicles from August 1983 to August 2001. This one has one letter, one to three numbers and three letters in the end (example: A246 BCD). Suffix is another type of registration available from the site. It’s for new vehicles from February 1963 to July 1983. This registration number has three letters, one to three numbers and one letter in the end (example: BCD 246A) and it’s only sold in auctions. The last type is the dateless registration, which was given to vehicles before February 1963. It may contain up to four letters then up to four numbers or the other way around (example: ABC 123 or 123 ABC).
Registration Number Plate Parts
If you can’t find any registration number that you like from the available numbers from DVLA’s site, you may contact them via email through their email online form. You may also call them at 0300 123 0883. They are open from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. If you wish to send them a letter, you may do so by sending it to this address: DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DN. Let them know the specific registration number that you wish to get and they’ll get back to you to see what they can do.

Registration Number Assignment

After purchasing a personalised registration number, a Certificate of Entitlement (V750) will be sent to you within a couple of weeks of purchase or also a couple of weeks after your payment has been cleared if purchased through the auction. You need to assign the registration number that you purchased to a vehicle with DVLA prior to the expiration date that appears on the certificate. You can do this online by going to this link. DVLA may or may not inspect your vehicle. If they do, they would contact you to let you know about it.
You should receive the V5C or certificate of registration within two weeks of application. However, this could take longer, depending on the circumstances, like the need for vehicle inspection. If it has already been over eight weeks and you haven’t received your V5C, then it’s best to contact DVLA to let them know about it. You may call them at this number 0300 790 6802 and let them know about that you don’t have your V5C yet. Once you have your registration certificate, you may now have your new plate made, but you should only hire a supplier that’s registered to make these plates. You could use this personalised plate supplier finder to find one near you. Just enter your postcode and click the find button to see the result.
Even if you already received the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) after purchasing a personalised registration, you shouldn’t use the plate in your vehicle until you receive your new V5C certificate, which you would get after assigning the registration number to your vehicle. If you to decide not to use the registration number on your vehicle, you could refund the £80.00 for the assignment fee. The Certificate of Entitlement (V750) has sections 4 and 6 that you need to fill up for this. You then send it to DVLA.

DVLA Vehicle Enquiry Guide and Contact Numbers

You can reach DVLA through phone. If you want to find out about registration and vehicle enquirys matters you can call: Telephone 0300 790 6802 or Telefax: 0300 123 0798 from Mondays to Fridays at 8am to 7pm and Saturdays from 8am to 2pm. If you want information on tax and SORN status you can phone them though these numbers: Telephone: 0300 790 6802 or Fax: 0300 123 0798. The hotline is available: Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm and Saturday, 8am to 2pm. If you have queries on the vehicle’s MOT, phone DVLA though: 0300 123 9000. Questions will be addressed form Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm.

You can check several information about a vehicle through a DVLA vehicle enquiry. What you need to know to make this enquiry is the vehicle’s make and registration number. You can find the registration number of a vehicle in your V5C or registration log book.

These are the information readily available when you do a DVLA vehicle enquiry through the website: https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/.
There are several kinds of information you can get through a DVLA vehicle enquiry.

Vehicle Enquiry

  1. You can find out when the current tax of the vehicle expires. Through this, you can find out when you are due to pay.
  2. You can also view the expiration of the vehicle’s MOT test. The MOT test is a requirement for most vehicles in the UK that are over 3 years old. The annual test measure: vehicle emission, vehicle safety and if it is worthy to be on the streets. You can also do a DVLA check on the MOT history of a vehicle by going to: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=1.109831746.678598253.1463626404
  3. For used or second hand vehicles – you can find out through a DVLA vehicle enquiry when it was first registered. You can also find out the vehicles’ year of manufacture. This is important for used car dealers and buyers because they can approximate here the age of the vehicle.
  4. You can also access the vehicle’s SORN status. All cars that use roads in the UK are required to pay road taxes – if you have a vehicle that you do not use or take out to public roads, you can apply for a SORN or a Statutory Off Road Notification. If you register your vehicle as off road, you are exempt from paying road taxes and there is no need to apply for a vehicle insurance. SORN cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another. You can also apply for lifting the SORN when you want to use the vehicle on public roads.
  5. You can get information on a vehicle’s registered color and engine size. You also have access to the CO2 emissions of the vehicle and its current tax rate.
  6. If you cannot access through the previously mentioned means, there are other ways to do a DVLA vehicle enquiry. First you can use the old online service of the DVLA. You can visit: https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=businesslink. What you need to provide here is the vehicle’s make and registration number. For phone enquiries you can find out information on the following:
  • date of first registration
  • year of manufacture
  • engine size
  • CO2 emissions
  • color
  • current vehicle tax rate

There are other data you can gain access to by making a request.

Additional Information You Can Access Through DVLA Vehicle Enquiry

Other forms of information are accessible through the DVLA vehicle enquiry but unlike the above mentioned list of information, these data need to be requested to DVLA.

You can get information on the registered keepers of vehicles. These include past and present owners. What you need to do is write to DVLA and make a request. Information on this is not easily accessed and DVLA does not grant all requests. Requests can only be granted if you have a “reasonable cause”. Reasonable causes include tracing owners of vehicles responsible for accidents, illegally parked cars, and abandoned vehicles. It may also be used to track drivers suspected of crimes such as insurance fraud and driving off without paying for services. Information may also be obtained to issue tickets for parking violations. Aside from these, you can also ask DVLA for information that they have on you.

You can read on further information on requesting vehicle information of other people from:  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/giving-people-information-from-our-vehicle-record. DVLA provides a guide on how companies can make a request, who will grant the request and the information that can be released.

Requests may be sent to DVLA’s Subject Access Requests through email at: SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk. You can also reach through mail by sending accomplished request forms to:

SAR Enquiries DVRE DVLA Swansea SA99 1ZZ

Complete Guide to the DVLA Driving Licence Application

To start driving in the UK, you need to secure a provisional driving licence first. The Driver and Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the one that handles the process, and you can directly go to their website to apply. You need to go through the DVLA driving licence application even if you are still a student who wants to learn how to drive. A licence is also required for driving a moped or motorcycle. You can apply three months before turning 16, if you will be riding a light quad bike or moped and three months before turning 17 if you will be driving a car.

Steps to Apply for Provisional Driving Licence

Driving Licences in the UK

  1. Register. Go to this link. Log-on using your Government Gateway ID. Fill in the details required, making sure the data are true and correct. There will be no problem if you need to register if you are a new user, or re-register if you are an existing user for there are links to allow you to do so and apply for the licence. No need to worry about giving critical information because the website is secure and your data is protected. The agency just needs to verify your identity. You can have your photo and signature from your passport used for easier processing.
  2. For your application, you must answer a number of questions to confirm your eligibility to apply. They need to know about your eyesight and medical condition. It pays to answer honestly because this is for your safety. You also have to provide details about payment towards the end. Check all the information you entered before submitting the form. Once you are sure, click “pay” and the fee will be automatically debited from your account and your form submitted. Pay using your Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, Electron or Delta card.
  3. Confirm. You will be asked to read the confirmation details carefully. Take note of the reference number. You may also print the page for future reference. The reference number can be used to check the status of your DVLA driving licence application. Assuming everything is fine, you should get your licence in about 7 working days.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a provisional driving licence, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a resident of Great Britain
  • You meet the age and eyesight requirements
  • You have a valid UK form of identity such as a UK passport
  • You have a National Insurance number (if known)

Other Way to Get a Driving Licence

The step-by-step guide above is for online application, but you can also apply by post. However, applying by post may take about 3 weeks, which is longer compared to when you apply online. Fee is £43, but online application will only cost you £34. Here are the steps:

  1. Get the D1 application form. You can go to a post office near you to get it or order it online from the agency. Use this link to order the DVLA form.
  2. Complete the form and requirements. Aside from the form, submit original documents proving your identity, coloured passport photo and the fee worth £43. Do not send this in cash, just prepare a postal order or cheque payable to DVLA. Keep in mind that you have to send original documents.
  3. 3. Send the application, documents and payment. The address is DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD or DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF if you are outside the UK.

Important Reminders

Applying for your driving licence online requires you to provide personal data, which means you agree with the agency’s aim to verify your identity using your National Insurance number and other valid ID. DVLA will also confirm your information with the HM Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions. The provisional driving licence shall be converted to a full licence for free once you pass the practical driving test.

The driving licence should be renewed every ten years, but DVLA will remind you before it expires. You can check the status of your DVLA driving licence application online if it takes longer than the expected arrival. It is best to go to the UK government’s official website to apply for your licence to avoid being mislead by fraudulent sites. Wait for the licence before getting behind the wheel.

Getting to Know the DVLA Database

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is an organization under the Department of Transport of the United Kingdom. The executive agency’s primary function is to release driving licenses, collect taxes for vehicles and maintain a DVLA database. The DVLA database contains records of drivers residing in Great Britain – because drivers of Northern Ireland are under a different organization, and information on vehicles in the whole of United Kingdom.
The DVLA database may be used to get vehicle information. All you need to access vehicle information from the database is the vehicle’s model and registration number. Once these are provided, you can gain access to information such as the date of expiration of the vehicle’s tax and MOT. The MOT refers to the annual test for vehicles used for more than 3 years in Great Britain. The MOT tests vehicles for its worthiness to be in the roads which include: exhaust emission and vehicle safety. Aside from this, you can also access the date when the vehicle was first registered, color, engine size, year of manufacture, CO2 emission and the vehicle’s tax rate. The SORN status may also be accessed through the DVLA database.
The DVLA database on vehicle information may be accessed through https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk. You can also gain access to some information via phone through these contact numbers:
For vehicle registration matters:

Information of a vehicle’s past and current owner may also be gained from the DVLA database but you need to write the agency first to request access. The information you can request for are: details of the registered owner, information about previous owners of vehicles now registered under your name and information DVLA has about you.
my driving record DVLA grants access to the above mentioned if you have “reasonable cause”. You can request for information from the DVLA database if you want to know who is responsible for an accident or tracing people suspected of insurance fraud. Aside from this, another reason may be tracing the owner of abandoned or illegally parked vehicles, or who is accountable for driving off without paying for goods and services. Another reason might be for the issuance of parking tickets.
All information request from the DVLA database must be applied through email or by post. There are several forms available depending on who is requesting information:

  • An individual: Form V888
  • A company: Form V8882
  • A company that issues parking charge notices: Form V8883

Private parking companies that are allowed to request from the DVLA must be a member of the British Parking Association or the Independent Parking Committee.
Other information on requesting from the DVLA database may be found in https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/giving-people-information-from-our-vehicle-record.
Other inquires on the DVLA database access and the information you can request may be forwarded to SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk. All mail through the post must be addressed to

SAR Enquiries DVRE DVLA Swansea SA99 1ZZ

Other Features of the DVLA Database

You can also use the DVLA database to share information about your driving license. You can access this by going to: https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number
You can use the service to check your driving records to see what kind of vehicles you are eligible to drive. You can also check your penalty points and disqualifications. The service may also be used to create a “check code” so that you can share your records to someone else. This check code is valid for 21 days.
You can check information on driver license records shared to you through: https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number.

Companies and individuals can request the DVLA database for specialized information on vehicles. These include: bulk data set, anonymized data set and vehicle mileage data. Bulk data set contains 47 fields of information on vehicles. This is often used by buyers to check if the vehicles are genuine. This include information on Vehicle Registration Number (VRN), Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), make and model among others. Anonymized data is primarily for marketing purpose which provides information on the vehicles make and model.

All requests on these information from the DVLA database may be forwarded to the Data Sharing Team. They can be reached through email: datasharing.team@dvla.gsi.gov.uk or through post:
Data Sharing Assurance Team D16 DVLA Longview Road Swansea SA99 1DY

DVLA Driving License Renewal Contact Number

  1. DVLA Driving License renewal number is: 0300 790 6801
  2. Outside of the UK? Try this number: +44 (0)1792 786 369
  3. and….More information on DVLA official website driving licences page: https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y/driving-licences-and-applications

You can renew your driving license online if you have a valid UK passport. You can process your DVLA driving license renewal through your Government Gateway ID. If you do not have one yet, you can apply for one as part of your license renewal. Remember here that you cannot apply online if your title or name changed or if you are a 5-year lorry or bus license holder. You can apply by post if you are not eligible for online application.
DVLA driving license renewal must be processed every 10 years. You will receive a notification form DVLA if your license is up for renewal. Note here that there is a different process for renewing licenses if you are 70 years of age and older.
To renew online, here is a list of things you need to provide: a valid UK passport, your current driving license, your National Insurance number and your address for the past 3 years. In addition, you must also be a resident of Great Britain since DVLA does not cater to those in Northern Ireland and you must not be disqualified from driving. A fee of £14 must be paid through accepted channels including Visa, MasterCard, Electron, Maestro or Delta credit or debit card. The renewal fee is waived if you are over 70 or a holder of a medical short period license.
It takes one week for your new license to be delivered from the date of application. The expiration date of your new license will be 10 years from the date of application – not from the date of when the old license expires. With this, it is important to process your DVLA driving license renewal before the old one becomes invalid. Once your new license arrives, you need to send your old license to DVLA. You will be informed where to address it once you receive your new photocard license.
Note here that if you are applying online, you are agreeing to DVLA’s terms. You are authorizing DVLA to check your personal data, which include your National Insurance number. DVLA will confirm information you provided with other government agencies such as the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
DVLA will send a confirmation email to you once your application is received.
Additional requisites need to be satisfied when you renew your DVLA driving license if you are over 70. For one you need to pass a minimum eyesight requirement and you are not prevented from driving for any other reason. The minimum eyesight requirement indicates that you must be able to read a license plate from 20 meters away with your glasses or contact lenses. You must also meet a minimum eyesight standard with visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) on the Snellen scale. You need to process your DVLA driving license renewal every three years.
The same process of application applies for licenses of people over the age of 70.
Other Ways to Apply for a DVLA Driving License Renewal
You can also apply for a DVLA driving license renewal through the post office. You can find the nearest post office branch to you through their branch finder: http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder. The post office may also be reached through phone: 0345 722 3344.

The DVLA Number Plate

Number plates are vehicle registration numbers assigned to vehicles. The DVLA number plate needs to be displayed correctly – you cannot alter the numbers and letters making them difficult to read. You can be fined up to £1,000 and your vehicle will fail the MOT test if it displays the number plate incorrectly. The DVLA number plate follows a specific format. There are 2 letters that indicate the office where the number was issued. This is followed by 2 numbers referring to the date when it was issued and ends with 3 random letters.
There are theft-resistant plates available to make sure that your DVLA number plate is hard to steal and reuse. For information about this, you may contact your local license plate dealer. You can also find the nearest license plate supplier through: https://www.gov.uk/number-plate-supplier by inputting your post code. The dealer will require documents upon the request of a number plate. These include an original copy of a proof of identity and your vehicle registration certificate.
There are several rules for DVLA number plates that you have to make sure our supplier is compliant of. First, the material of your number plate must be reflectorized Second, the front plate must display black letters on a white background. Third, the rear plate must have black characters on a yellow background. It is vital to note here that all backgrounds must be free of patterns. Lastly, DVLA allows for characters to be embossed or 3D.
For motorcycles, plates must be displayed at the back of the vehicle. The characters should be displayed in two lines.
Trailers must display the same number plate as the vehicle towing it. When there are multiple trailers, the license plate must be fixed at the rear of the last trailer.
There is a specified height, size and spacing on DVLA number plates. Other DVLA number plate specifications are available in: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.
You are allowed to display flags, symbols and identifiers on your DVLA number plate. The following flags are allowed to be placed on the left-hand side of the number plate:

  • Union Flag
  • Cross of St George
  • Cross of St Andrew – also known as the Saltire
  • Red Dragon of Wales

The following national identifiers are allowed to be placed below the flag:

  • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
  • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
  • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
  • ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
  • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
  • WALES or Wales

When travelling within the European Union, your DVLA number plate must display a Great Britain or GB national identifier and a Euro symbol. The Euro symbol must be a at least 98mm in height, 40-50 mm wide, have a reflective blue background with 12 reflective starts yellow stars at the top and display Great Britain in reflecting white or yellow.

Personalized DVLA number plate

Personalized DVLA number plate
Other than a standard DVLA number plates, you can also avail of personalized number plates. When you opt for a personalized number plate, you are paying for the right to assign the number to a vehicle. You can buy a personalized plate for you vehicle or assign it to someone else. Here are the steps to buy a personalized DVLA number plate.

  1. You need to buy a registration number from DVLA Personalized Registrations by visiting: http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/. DVLA Personalized Registrations sells and auctions exclusive registration number six times a year. You can visit the website to reserve numbers that are up for auction. The reservation prices start at £130. You can bid in person or through other channels such as via phone, writing and online. You can buy personalized plates form private sales. Just make sure that you have the V750 certificate of entitlement or the V778 certificate of retention.
  2. Once you’ve purchased a personalized DVLA number plate you can now assign the number plate to a vehicle. Before you can do this, you need to take off the registration number of the vehicle to be assigned the new number plate first. Once this is done, you will need a certification confirming that the vehicle is now eligible for a new number plate. Next you need to secure a V750 certificate of entitlement or V778 retention document for the personalized number plate. You will also need to have the 11 digit registration certificate of V5C.

Assigning the number plate to a vehicle may be done by visiting: https://www.personalisedvehicleregistration.service.gov.uk/assign/vehicle-lookup?_ga=1.223802715.1310892103.1463538520.
Personalized DVLA number plates may be renewed after 10 years.