Applying for a DVLA Provisional License and Other Things to Consider

A DVLA provisional license is different from a full driving licence that drivers of motorized vehicles own. This type of licence is required when taking your first driving lesson or taking the hazard perception and theory test. Drivers with a provisional licence can only drive the roads of UK, excluding motorways, only when a licenced passenger over the age of 21 and is a holder of a full licence for at least three years is riding with them. Driving with a provisional licence by yourself will be subject to penalties and you can be apprehended by traffic police if found out that you are holding a provisional licence without a licensed passenger.

provisional driving licence exemple UK

Qualifications and Requirements in Applying for a Provisional Licence

There are several things that make an applicant qualified to apply for a DVLA provisional license, and these are:

  • Only UK residents can apply for a DVLA provisional license.
  • Applicants must be at least 15 years and 9 months old upon application.
  • A good eyesight is a must; applicants must be able to read a number plate made from September 2001 from 20 metres away (with contact lenses or eyeglasses, if necessary).
  • Identification such as a valid UK passport, a BRP or biometric residence permit, a travel document, UK certificate of naturalisation and a European Union national identity card.
  • A payment of £34 through debit or credit card. Accepted cards include Visa, MasterCard, Delta, Maestro or Electron.
  • National Insurance number.
  • Home addresses for the last three years.

For the UK passport, applicants can enter the 9 digit biometric passport number to apply online. When it comes to eyesight requirements, applicants can check this page for a list of medical conditions that can affect their eyesight, which in turn will affect their driving. Failure to divulge any eyesight problems may result in prosecution.

Keep These in Mind When Applying for a Provisional License

When applying for a DVLA provisional license, there are several things that should be taken into consideration. You can apply for one online using your Government Gateway ID.

You also agree that DVLA will check the personal data you supply to the website, including your National Insurance Number. The details that you will provide DVLA will be cross checked with the HM Revenue and Customs and Department for Work and Pensions, if applicable, for accuracy of the information. Make sure that you only apply for a DVLA provisional license for yourself, and not someone else. Once you have successfully applied for a licence online, DVLA will send you a confirmation thru email, and the licence card will arrive within a week upon submission of the application.

Online applications for a DVLA provisional license is thru this website. For those who do not have a Government Gateway ID upon application, you will get one as part of the licence application. For more information about applying for a provisional licence, go to site mentioned above to learn more about what you need to have to be able to be issued a provisional licence.

DVLA can be contacted several ways, if you have any concerns or enquiries with your online application. You can send an email to this link, call them at 0300 790 6801 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm or Saturdays at 8am to 2pm. If you wish to contact them thru mail, you can send your letter to this address:

Drivers Customer Services Correspondence Team DVLA Swansea SA6 7JL

DVLA Medical Examinations

DVLA Medical Examinations Contact Number: 0300 790 6806

When acquiring a licence anywhere in the world, you will be required to submit yourself to a number of medical exmanations to determine whether you are fit to be on the road or not. In the UK, DVLA medical examinations are a must when applying for a licence. The medical is valid until the driver has reached 45 years old, after which he will be required to submit himself to a medical examination every 5 years until the age of 65. When drivers reach the age of 65, they will then be required to have a medcial every year.

The Snellen Test


The Snellen Test is the most common eye test required of drivers who wish to apply for a licence. You will be required to read the letters on the Snellen chart from the biggest to the smallest at the bottom of the chart. This test is done to determine how well your eyesight is. Since you will be on the road with other vehicles, it is a must that you have good eyesight. If you are wearing glasses or contact lenses, you do not have to have a separate test without them, as long as you pass the test using glasses or contact lenses. This provision applies to car drivers only. Group 2 (buses and lorries) drivers require a more rigid eye test to pass.

Physical and Psychological Examinations

Aside from the Snellen Test, drivers will be tested according to their physical capabilities. Those who have physical disabilities should be able to have accessibility and coordination of their limbs to be able to drive properly. Medical examiners will determine if a physically disabled person can drive a car or otherwise.

medical suite

Those with other medical conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, etc. are required to divulge their medical conditions prior to applying for a licence so that the DVLA medical examinations department will be able to determine if they can grant a licence based on your medical condition or not. When it comes to psychological exams, licence applicants will be required to signify if they have mental and psychological issues such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, etc. These conditions may affect judgement and capability while on the road and may endanger other drivers, so it is a must to inform DVLA if an applicant has any underlying psychological issues.

If you did not have any medical (physical or psychological) condition when you applied for a licence but developed one during the course of your driving, you are mandated to inform the DVLA medical examinations department so they can assess your driving capabilities and determine if your licence should be revoked or continued, based on the result of the exam.

If you have any concerns of questions about medical conditions and licence issuance, you may call the DVLA medical customer service number 0300 790 6806. The hotline is open on Mondays to Fridays, 8am to 5.30pm and on Saturdays at 8am to 1pm. You can also send a fax to 0845 850 0095. There is also an email link that can be contacted for any concerns. For those who want to send a letter by post, the address is

  • Drivers’ Medical Enquiries DVLA Swansea SA99 1TU (More)



Downloadable Forms

DVLA forms are available for various purposes. These forms can be downloaded online. They can then be filled up and sent either via email or post, depending on where it would be used. There are also forms that can’t be downloaded as they may have features that are not available for printing like the plastic window where photos are attached. If the forms are not available for download, go to

Enter the information required including your name, house number and street, town or city, county and postcode. Tick the box next to the DVLA form that you wish to order and click “submit”. There are currently 77 DVLA forms available for download on the site as of this writing. Here are some of these forms and what they are for.

Reporting Medical Information

There are various DVLA forms that are used for reporting specific medical problems or conditions and some of them are the ones below:

  • DG1 – this form is for reporting drug problems.
  • G1V – use this form if you’re a bus, lorry or coach driver and you’re reporting spinal problems, paraplegia, lumboperitoneal shunt, limb disability, learning difficulties, brachial plexus, arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Alzheimer’s disease, AIDS, Addison’s disease and conditions related to these. If you’re a motorcyclist or car driver, use the G1 form.
  • H1 – this is for motorcyclist and car drivers who would like to report Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, tachycardia, pacemakers, Marfan syndrome, heart palpitations, congenital heart disease, arrhythmia, aneurysm and related conditions.
  • VDIAB1I – bus, lorry or coach drivers with diabetes that’s being treated with insulin may use this form.
  • DR1V – this form is for bus, lorry or coach drivers that need to report alcohol issues and other conditions related to this.
  • C1V – this is for bus, lorry or coach drivers with malignant melanoma, lymphoma, lung cancer, leukaemia, Hodgkins lymphoma, cancer and other related health conditions.

Vehicle Tax or V10 Form

Owners must tax their vehicles to drive them on the public roads of UK. Vehicles that are not taxed and are driven on public roads would be fined. Download and fill up this form to tax your vehicle. Vehicles must be taxed every year.

Request for Information for Another Vehicle or V888 Form

If you wish to get information for another vehicle for a certain reason like you’re planning to buy it, fill up the V888 form and send it to DVLA. Some of the information that you could learn about the vehicle are its current tax rate, CO2 emissions, year of manufacture, engine size, colour, SORN status, date of first registration, MOT expiration and tax expiration. Aside from the form, online service is also available that would give you this information. You’ll need the registration number and make of the vehicle for this.

Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) or V890 Form

If you decide not to use your vehicle on public roads, file for a SORN so you don’t have to tax it or get an auto insurance. Fill up the V890 form and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR. If you’re not yet the registered keeper, fill up the appropriate part on the V5C and send it together with the V890 form.

DVLA Tax Refund for Your Vehicle Phone Numbers

Tax refunds contact number is: 0300 123 4321

Vehicle owners in the UK must tax their cars every year so they could drive them on public roads. If they would no longer be using their vehicle on these public roads, whether they would like to temporarily keep them in the garage or they decide to scrape or sell it, they could let DVLA know about it so they could get a tax refund. The vehicle tax must be canceled first before you could receive a DVLA tax refund. We’ll go through the various possible reasons on why you would stop taxing your vehicle and how you could get a tax refund from DVLA.

tax refoundes

You Made a SORN

If you’ve decided not to use your vehicle on public roads and you already made a SORN, you will be automatically sent a DVLA tax refund for the remaining months that your tax payment wouldn’t be used. If you haven’t made a SORN yet, you could apply for this online at You may also call 0300 123 4321 or send your filled up V890 form to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

You Transferred or Sold Your Vehicle

You must let DVLA know if you sold or transferred your vehicle. Do this before you even send the V5C by post. You would need the reference number on the V5C for this process. In case you’re acting on behalf of the seller, you would also need their permission. Go to in order to start the online process. You could do this from 8:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday. The tax refund would be sent to the person who is the registered keeper on the latest V5C.

Your Vehicle Was Stolen

If your vehicle was stolen, you should let the local police know right away. You would be asked for the vehicle’s registration number, colour, model and make; then you would be given a crime reference number. You’ll need this reference number when claiming for your auto insurance and applying for a DVLA tax refund. Apply for a tax refund only if your vehicle is not found in one week after it was stolen. Call DVLA at 0300 790 6802 and ask for a V33 form that you need to fill up and send it to the following address:
Refund Section DVLA Swansea SA99 1AL

It Was Scrapped

Vehicles that can no longer be used must be scrapped at an ATF or authorised treatment facility. If you wish to remove and keep some parts before sending the vehicle to an ATF, you must make a SORN first. In case you also wish to keep the registration number, you may request for this here. You’ll need to pay £80 for this. This service is available from 8:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday. Once done with removing the parts you need, you may take the vehicle to an ATF. Go to to find the nearest ATF in your area. Enter your postcode on the appropriate field and click “Find”. Let DVLA know that you had your vehicle scrapped at an ATF on this site.

How to File DVLA Complaints

If you like to file a complaint, you can do so through this page:

But first and foremost: Contact DVLA – The specific department, and try resolve the problem directly through that channel.

dvla agency

DVLA has always been firm of working towards 100% customer satisfaction. In fact, they made moves recently to simplify dvla policies as well as dvla technology landscape to reach out to more customers in a highly efficient manner. That is one of the reasons dvla digital services went full blast. However, when miscommunication occurs and dvla customers found the service insufficient or faulty, they may file a complaint to let us know they were unhappy.

Here are several means to file DVLA complaints:

First, get in touch with the department concerned with your issue. There is a different DVLA postcode and address to use for every specific department at the Swansea office. For any questions related to enforcements, the postcode is SA99 1AH; for Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), the postcode is SA99 1AR; for first time registration and licensing, the postcode is SA99 1BE; for damaged, lost or stolen driving license, the postcode is SA99 1BN; for vehicle and driver records, the postcode is SA99 1BP; for personalized vehicle registrations for the public, the postcode is SA99 1DS; for trade licensing and general licensing, the postcode is SA99 1DZ.

DVLA Departments

  1. When you get in touch with any of the DVLA departments, make sure you are ready with the essential information that they might need to address your concerns properly. They include your name and full address, your date of birth, your phone number, and any reference number related to your issue. If your queries are about your driving license, have your driver number ready. If your DVLA complaints are about your vehicle licensing, registration, or enforcement, you will be asked to state your vehicle registration number as well as the make and model of your vehicle.
  2. Second, you may file a formal complaint addressed to dvla Complaints Team. The Customer Complaint Resolution Team uses this address: CCRT, D16 W, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL. If you forwarded your issues to the Complaints Team before talking to the concerned department, DVLA fwill get that specific department to send you a reply. Once the team receives your complaint, you will be sent an acknowledgement receipt and an assurance for a full reply in 10 working days, depending on the case.
  3. Third, you may send your DVLA complaints to dvla Chief Executive Office Oliver Morley at DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL or email:

CEO Office

If you think both the department concerned for your case as well as the Complaints Team failed to resolve your issue.

you may get in touch with dvla CEO’s office, which will make sure your case is reviewed and responded to as soon as possible or within 10 working days.

Fourth, you may seek an independent review from the Department of Transport’s Independent Complaints Assessor or ICA. The ICA will coordinate with DVLA to see what can be done to help resolve your issues.

Lastly, you may ask a Member of Parliament to take your case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. You may mail them through:

PHSO Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP, email them at:, or call them at: 0345 015 4033.