DVLA 0300 Phone Numbers to Call

There are various 0300 numbers to call depending on your specific concern. You may contact these numbers to connect with the representatives that could answer your questions or help you with whatever issue that you may have concerning driver or vehicle licensing. Customer support for DVLA has been centralized so you would use the same DVLA phone number 0300 in Swansea for all your concerns, regardless from where you are calling from in the UK. Below are the 0300 numbers that you need to call for various issues or queries you may have with DVLA.

DVLA 0300 Numbers and Their Schedule

For all your queries about vehicle registration and V5C certificates, you may call 0300 790 6802. This number is available from 8:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Friday and 8:00am to 2:00pm on Saturdays. Aside from calling them, you may also send them a fax at 0300 123 0798. This is the number to call if you wish to apply for a new V5C certificate or if you need a replacement because yours was damaged, lost or stolen. Note that processing time of your specific request like change of information may take from 2 to 6 weeks. Keeping or removing a private registration number is within 2 weeks, sold vehicle confirmation, vehicle details change and address change could take up to 4 weeks, and registered keeper change could take within 6 weeks to complete. If you wish to find out if a vehicle is being taxed, you want to cancel your vehicle tax, change the tax class of your vehicle or you have any other vehicle tax concerns or SORN questions, that is also the same DVLA road tax contact number to call.
However, if you’re applying for SORN or Statutory Off Road Notification, the number to dial is 0300 123 4321. You could apply for this if you don’t use your vehicle in public roads. If you’re calling from a landline, the call charge could be anywhere from 2p to 10p. In case you’re calling using a mobile phone, you may be charged 10p to 40p. Aside from calling by phone, making a SORN can also be done by sending a letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR. You may do this if you’re not yet registered as the vehicle’s keeper or you have just registered as the keeper of the vehicle. SORN confirmation can be processed within 4 weeks and tax refund for vehicle within 6 weeks.
You may connect to the customer service number 0300 790 6801 for all your driver licensing questions, as well as applications. They are open 8:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Friday. You may also call on Saturdays between 8:00am to 2:00pm. Another option to reach them is by fax at 0300 123 0784. If sending fax from outside United Kingdom, send it to +44 (0)1792 786 369. Processing of driving licenses can take up to 3 weeks. Wait for this processing time to complete before calling this number for exchanging, renewing or replacing your license.

How to Register a Vehicle and Check Car Registration with DVLA

When you own a car, whether you’ve purchased it brand new or second hand, you need to have it registered so that it would be included in the DVLA database. This is needed, as it would be required for you to drive the car on the road. You would need to have it registered as soon as it’s purchased, imported, altered, rebuilt or built. There are forms that you need to fill up and send to DVLA in order to complete the registration. The vehicle might be inspected, although it is not always done. They do this to ensure that there is really a vehicle that exists and that you are its owner. Another reason in doing so is to upgrade their database for any changes that you have made.

New and Used Vehicle Registration

If you purchased a brand new vehicle, it’s usually the dealer that would take care of the DVLA registrations and you should receive the registration certificate in 6 weeks after they filed for it. If they filed and you didn’t receive any certificate within the said period, you may contact DVLA to inquire about it. Call reg check DVLA phone number at 0300 790 6802. This is the number to dial for all your vehicle registration questions. It’s open from 8:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Friday and 8:00am to 2:00pm on Saturdays. You may also send them a fax at 0300 123 0798. Another option is to send them a message through email form that you can find on this page. If you wish to send them a letter, you may do so by sending it to the address below:
Vehicle Customer Services DVLA Swansea SA99 1AR
If you purchased a used car, this must also be registered to DVLA so that it would reflect on their records that you are the new keeper. The seller must fill up the sections 6 and 8 of the V5C and send it to DVLA. Section 10 of V5C/2 must then be sent to you. You should get the new V5C certificate of the vehicle within a couple of weeks to 4 weeks upon receiving the old certificate sent by the seller. If you didn’t receive any certificate within that period, fill up the V62 form, which is the form for registering a vehicle and send it to DVLA together with the V5C/2 that the seller gave to you. There would be a fee if you failed to include the V5C/2. DVLA doesn’t recommend buying a second hand car that does not have a registration certificate However, in case you do, you still need to have it registered by completing and sending V62 form. This form is available from any branch of Post Office or you may also download it online at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate.
uk registration vehicle example

New Registrations with DVLA

If your vehicle has never been registered with DVLA before, you must follow DVLA car registration process to have it registered under your name. There are two different registration forms available for this and they are V55/4 and V55/5. The V55/4 is for new vehicles that have not been registered such as newly purchased, newly built and imported cars, while V55/5 form is for those that were already used but have not been registered. You could get these forms from https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms. Send this to DVLA together with a copy of your driving license. This would serve as a proof of your identity. If you can’t send this for some reason, there are other documents that you could send that would show your name. These include UK paper driving license, birth certificate, marriage certificate or passport. Documents that you could include to prove your address are current tax bill, medical card, current bank statement and current utility bill. Aside from these, other documents would also be asked from you such as vehicle tax payment, vehicle related documents, certificate of newness for new imported vehicles, latest MOT certificate for cars that are more than three years old and £55 new registration fee. If your vehicle is not yet taxed, you may apply over phone by calling 0300 123 4321. You may also visit a Post Office branch that handles vehicle taxing. Use this Post Office finder in order to find one near you.

Closure of DVLA Offices and Other Options to Reach Them

There used to be 39 DVLA offices in different parts of the UK that handled various concerns and processes related to vehicles and licensing. All of these local offices were closed in 2013 and all concerns have ever since been handled by the offices in Swansea, which is where DVLA is headquartered. Although these local offices are no longer available for a face to face consultation or processing, you wouldn’t have problems contacting DVLA with any of your concerns since various options are available to reach them, including online, email, phone and by post.

Different Options of Reaching DVLA for Various Concerns

Reaching DVLA IPAD

One of the common reasons on why people visit local DVLA offices is for their vehicle registration. You need to register your vehicle for it to be added on their database. This is needed so you could drive it on the road. If it’s a new vehicle purchased from a dealer, they may register it for you. If not, you could always have it registered on your own. You would need a V55 form for this and there are different types of V55 form to use. There’s the V55/4 form for registering a new vehicle, including those that were newly built and newly imported. You may also register a used car that you bought using the V55/5 form, which also include used vehicles that were imported, old vehicles that weren’t registered yet and vehicles that have been rebuilt. Supporting documents would be needed for this that would prove your identity and there’s also a fee of £55. You may send your application and other requirements to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BE.

Many people also prefer to have their registration number customized. You could purchase a personalised registration number online at http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/. Enter letters or numbers that you would like to get on your registration number on the search feature of the site to see the list of result that contains them. There are millions of numbers that you could choose from the site, plus, they also have auctions, which schedule can also be seen on the page. If you have further questions about personalised registration numbers, there’s an online form that you could fill up to send your queries or issues to DVLA regarding this matter. You may also give them a ring at 0300 123 0883. They are open from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. If you prefer to send them a letter, you may do this by sending it to DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DN.

Your vehicle must be taxed in order to be legally used on the road. If you’re not using it on the road, you should let DVLA know about this and make a Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN. Else, a vehicle license or tax disc is required. Although you can no longer visit local DVLA offices for this, you have other options and you could choose which one is the most convenient for you. You can do this online by going to this site https://www.vehicletax.service.gov.uk/. Enter the 16-digit reference number from your V11 reminder letter, click continue and follow the online instructions. You may also call them over the telephone at 0300 123 4321 or by text phone at 0300 790 6201. Some local post offices also handle vehicle tax. You may find one near you using this branch finder. Aside from your fee, you would also need to bring your V11 reminder letter, V5C/2 or new keeper supplement if the vehicle is newly purchased and V5C registration certificate that’s under your name.

Applications for vehicle changes and export could also be sent via postal service. If you’re making any changes or upgrades on your vehicle, you may apply for this by sending your V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. You should get your application back within four weeks. If you would be exporting your vehicle in another country for over 12 months, fill the section for notification of permanent export in your V5C/4 and send your application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. For driver licensing questions or concerns, you may call them by phone at 0300 790 6801 or text phone at 0300 123 1278. They are available from 8:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Friday and 8:00am to 2:00pm on Saturdays.

What is a DVLA Check for?

Background checks are essential in any kind of industry or organization. Background checks are usually done by employers and landlords to make sure that they are hiring and accepting applicants that are trustworthy. A DVLA check is one way to do this especially for employment agencies that require intensive driving.

What is a DVLA Check?

A DVLA check is a safeguard for companies against being convicted of Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act of 2007. These laws provide that companies may be held accountable for manslaughter and homicide if they are found guilty of careless hiring practices. Lorries and bus companies use a DVLA check in order to gain information on the driving records of prospective drivers.
Independent bodies provide a DVLA check for companies. Reports on DVLA check usually contain information on a person driving license such as penalty points, impaired charges and driving offences. Aside from checking driving records, a DVLA check can confirm the kind of license and person is holding. This information is important especially when positions require specific types of driving license.
Third party access is always with the consent of the individual going through the DVLA check. This is in compliance with the Data Protection act of 1998. Primarily the DVLA database is for personal DVLA checks – the agency made third party access difficult in order to protect the data provided.
Companies can check your driving records through the DVLA database. They can do this with your consent through the license “check code” you can generate from: https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number. All you have to do is enter your license number, National Insurance number and post code. This check code is valid for 21 days.
Employers and other third party bodies can check your driving license information through a secure and one time only check code valid for 21 days. The information accessed will only be accurate at the time it was checked – DVLA does not notify employers and other bodies of subsequent changes to your license information. You can also provide a printed copy of your driving license information summary if your employer would require it.
In this service, you can share and view your driving record, which contains the list of vehicles you are allowed to drive. You can also check your disqualification, violations and penalty points. The DVLA database can also be used.
The DVLA database cannot be used to view licenses issued outside England, Wales and Scotland; the progress of a license application; and your driving history such as expired penalty points.
Aside from companies and third party bodies, you can also do a DVLA check on yourself. You can check your driving records, vehicle information and road tax dues. You can access information from the DVLA database. The same data you share with third party bodies through your check code is the same data you can view through the database.
driving licence information
When using the DVLA database, you are consenting to DVLA’s terms and conditions. The information you provide – especially your National Insurance number – will be shared with other government agencies to cross check your identity. You will be prompted of this message before you submit your data and generate your check code.
The DVLA privacy policy on doing a DVLA check provides that your personal information will only be used to verify your identity by sharing it with two government bodies namely: HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and no other organization. The HMRC and the DWP will not use your information for any other purpose. The information will not be retained by the DVLA – upon the expiration of your check code, your information will be removed off the system.

Other Ways to do a DVLA Check

There are other ways to do a DVLA check. You can use GOV.UK Verify by visiting: https://www.signin.service.gov.uk/start to get a check code and view and share your driving license information. It takes about 10 minutes to use this website. DVLA may also be reached through phone:
0300 083 0013
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Lastly, you can request by post. All you need to do is to fill in a request form D8888 available in: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/d888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-from-their-driving-record. The form requires you to provide information such as: your name and address and your driving lincesen number. If you don’t know your license number, you can provide your date of birth instead. You can then send the form through mail to:
Driver License Validation Service
SA99 1AJ

Contact DVLA for Complaints on DVLA Check

If you have complaints on the privacy policy you can reach the Customer Complaints Resolution Team through email: CCRT@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.
Or you can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or through e-mail: casework@ico.org.uk.

Who Do You Call in DVLA Contact Number for Lost License

The DVLA contact number for lost license for those residing within the UK is: 0300 790 6801 and Fax: 0300 123 0784. For those residing outside the UK, DVLA may be reached through telefax. The DVLA contact number for lost license for those outside the UK is: +44 (0)1792 786 369.
DVLA contact number for lost license may be contacted from Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm, Saturday: 8am to 2pm. If you want to know the call changes, you can go to: https://www.gov.uk/call-charges.
It is important to remember here that you cannot apply through phone: (1) if there are changes in your information details – such as change in name or address; (2) if your license is expiring in less than 56 days and (3) if your license in damaged.

If you lose your driving license, it is important to immediately contact DVLA to report the incident and ask for a replacement license. Here is a guide on how to ask for a replacement and the DVLA contact number for lost licenses.

How to Apply for a Replacement Driving License

First, you need to access the Government Gateway through your ID. Government Gateway is an online one-stop shop for requesting several government services in the UK. If you do not have an ID yet, you need to apply for one before you can request for a replacement license. Government Gateway may be accessed through http://www.gateway.gov.uk/.
There are several things you have to remember before contacting DVLA for replacement licenses. If your driving license is stolen, contact the police first before applying for a replacement.
In other cases all you need to do are as follows:

  1. You need to be a resident of Great Britain because different rules apply for those residing in Northern Ireland.
  2. You have to ensure that you are not disqualified from driving. You may be banned from driving for two main reasons: if you are convicted of any driving offense and if you garnered more than 12 penalty points for the last three years.
  3. You need to pay a fee of £20 through available payment channels such as MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
  4. Make sure that you have a valid UK passport or other proof of identity. Other proof of identity includes the following: other current and valid passport, biometric residence permit, UK certificate of naturalization, EU r EEA ID or a travel document.
  5. You will need to provide your address of residence for the past three years.
  6. Additional requirements include your driving license number and National Insurance number if you know them.

You will then receive a confirmation email from DVLA once your application has been submitted.
There are other ways to apply for a replacement license aside from using the Government Gateway. If you have a photocard license, you can apply by phoning DVLA hotline for driver license enquiries.
dvla center
Aside from the DVLA contact number for lost license, they can also be reached through email. You can select your specific concern and send an email through DVLA’s website.
Aside from phoning DVLA, you can also apply for a replacement through post. All you need to do is fill out the required forms. For cars and motor bikes, fill out D1 Application for a driving license and form D2 Application for a driving license for lorries and buses. Send in your application together with the required fee that may be seen in the forms. Forms may be ordered from https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms.
For paper license holders, fill in the same forms mentioned above and send them through post together with the additional requirements. Added requirements include: original documents that confirms your identity, a passport type photo, the paper license (if it is damaged) and the application fee.
Processing your application takes three weeks. You may phone the DVLA contact number for lost license after 3 weeks for a follow up.

Other Things You Need to Know when Applying for a Replacement License

Usually, DVLA will use an electronic photo for your new license. That is if you are a UK passport holder and your current license is to expire in two years’ time. In other cases, DVLA will let you know if there is no electronic copy available. When this happens, you need to print a driving license form and send it with a suitable photo through post.
In case you find your old license after you’ve already applied for a replacement all you need to do is surrender the old to DVLA and explain what happened.

DVLA Leeds

All local DVLA offices including DVLA Leeds were shut at the end of the year 2013. All services were moved to an office in Swansea so as to save funds and provide better service. In order to contact DVLA, you may use the DVLA Leeds Contact Numbers.

leeds uk

DVLA Leeds Contact Numbers

The government has consolidated all DVLA Leeds telephone numbers for improvement so Instead of contacting Leeds Directory on 0113 391 8333, you may refer to the helpline numbers listed below. They are the numbers that you may use to get in touch with DVLA.

DVLA Leeds Customer Service

If you have general enquiries, you can contact DVLA Leeds customer service on 0300 790 6801. You may also send a message by fax on 0300 123 0784. They are available on Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, and Saturday, 8am to 1pm. You may also call this phone number for address change or lost driving license.

DVLA Leeds Office Contact Number

For Statutory off Road Notification or vehicle registration and tax enquiries, call DVLA Leeds office contact number on 0300 790 6802. If you are sending your message through fax, their number is 0300 123 0798. They are open on Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, and Saturday, 8am to 2pm.

For enquiries about MOTs, vehicle testing and approval, you may get in touch with DVLA on 0300 123 9000. They are open on Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6:00pm.

If you are not happy with the service you receive from DVLA, you may contact the department you have been connected with. You can look up their contact details on the letter or email that DVLA has sent you.

DVLA Leeds Translation Service

If you don’t speak Welsh or English and you have questions about the registration of your vehicle, call DVLA Leeds translation service on 0906 737 0013.

DVLA Leeds Address

There are different postcodes for the DVLA Leeds address, depending on the particular department for which you want to address you concerns:

  • Postcode SA99 1AH if you have some questions about enforcements
  • Postcode SA99 1AR if you need to renew your vehicle tax, or you are looking to apply for Statutory off Road Notification
  • Postcode SA99 1BA if you need to update the details on your registration certificate
  • Postcode SA99 1BD If you want to notify DVLA that your vehicle has been sold
  • Postcode SA99 1BE if you are looking to apply for first registration and licensing for a vehicle
  • Postcode SA99 1BN for a replacement of lost, stolen or damaged license
  • Postcode SA99 1BP postcode for enquiries with regards to vehicle and driver records
  • Postcode SA99 1DH for driving license renewal
  • Postcode SA99 1DP if you wish to make a personalized registration for motor trade
  • Postcode SA99 1DS For personalized registrations for the public
  • Postcode SA99 1DZ if you want to apply for general licensing and trade licensing